Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The 28 Day Free from FB Challenge


Well, here is the deal. I should be working on a paper for my addictions class, but sometimes you just need an outlet for a little before you can get busy doing class work again.  Before my addictions course I would use facebook as my outlet, but now I can't for another couple weeks.  As part of my addictions class we were to give up something we were addicted to for the course of the whole class, and by doing this should experience similar feelings that a true addict would feel when giving up their substance or behavior.  On day two I had a dream about posting something on fb forgetting that i wasn't supposed to and i woke up in a literal panic!  This really is cruel and unusual punishment! Or atleast that is what my professor Paul would like to think about the assignment.  To be honest though, I have missed the part of fb that gives me a place to express what i need in a quick manor and i also miss the part about it that allows me to occupy my time when i am board, or waiting at an office, etc.  I haven't had too many temptations to get back on, but i can promise that i will love it when the 28 days are over!  

With all that being said, i really want to impress upon everyone something that i have noticed during the past 2.5 weeks with out fb, but first watch this short film on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

This short film makes me emotional every time i watch it.  From a personal perspective, i got in to the habit of being on fb every time i would sit to feed Adelaide a bottle.  I noticed that each time i would look down at her from my phone she would be looking right into my eyes, almost like she was waiting for me to notice that i was feeding her and that she was sitting there in my arms.  It began to scare me that i was allowing my stupid phone/fb take me away from the precious time i have with my baby.  In fact i cried about it several times.  I now understand what this film is talking about.  one of my favorite quotes is: 
 "GIVE PEOPLE YOUR LOVE NOT YOUR LIKE."  
During the past 2.5 weeks i have been sure to not use my phone while feeding Adelaide, and i have worked on not watching tv shows with Matt all the time, and trying to spend better quality time, even if its a simple as looking into Adelaide's pretty blue eyes and smiling at her while she eats, or simply chatting with Matt about things instead of needing something to "do" when we are together.  Since i have been doing these things and staying off my phone and computer more, i have noticed that i am more calm, its easier to be in the moment, and i haven't missed any of the little moments that make life extra special.  To all my readers i strongly suggest taking this 28 day free of fb challenge.  It will change your life for the better! Now, back to my addictions paper... 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment