Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What Does it Mean to be a Mother?


May 10, 2014

Once again... it has been a super long time since i have blogged, and i must say in my defense that it has been some of the craziest couple of months that i have ever experienced in my life. I know there are so many things that i need to catch all my readers up on namely THE BABY, school stuff, moving, weight loss, and life in general. However i want to dedicate this blog to my thoughts on motherhood. Seeing as this is my very first mothers day as a real mother i can say that i have a lot more on my mind about what it takes. 

Being a mother means so many things. I guess speaking from what my mother did while i was growing up and what she still does now, as well as speaking from what i do on a daily basis, the number 1 word to describe motherhood is SACRIFICE.

I had no idea all the things my mom did for me on a daily basis. the things she gave up, the time she could have spent doing things she preferred was spent meeting my needs, etc. Taking care of Adelaide has really opened my eyes to what it really takes to be a mother. I always knew it was what i wanted to do for the rest of my life, but i never understood how much of a sacrifice it is to raise a child. beginning from 9 months before she even got here i was sacrificing some of my favorite foods and activities... and don't get me started on the sacrifice of my body... i am still struggling with that one fairly often.

So to pose the question again... what does it mean to be a mother?

it means giving up sleep to comfort upset tummys
it means allowing the laundry to go undone longer than usual
it means waking up every 3 hours around the clock
it means date nights at home instead of our on the town
it means lots of excess weight needing to come off
it means changes to the body that will never be quite the same again
it means finding ways to study when someone is sleeping
it means focusing on someone else's needs before theirs always
it means learning to prioritize time
it means pinching pennies where ever possible
it means cute dresses and headbands
it means tiny fingers and toes
it means pictures and videos all day long
it means hugs and kisses at any hour of the day and night

i could go on and on... but i gotta say that despite all the difficulties of motherhood that i have experienced already and i know i will experience, every minute it so worth it. Adelaide is my greatest accomplishment in this life and i love her with every fiber of my being. she has already been such an amazing blessing to me and i can't imagine my life without her. 

To my mom this mothers day, i wish you the best and thank you for all the sacrifices you made for me during my growing years and during my adulthood. Having you here during Adelaide's first few days on earth were such a blessing to me. I can't tell you just how much it meant to me to have you here in Lincoln. 

I have been so blessed and so lucky to have the parents that i do, and i know i am becoming more and more like my mom as the days go by and i rejoice! Thanks mom and all moms out there for being amazing! i hope to be like all of you through out my journey of learning to be a mother. 

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment